Moment Musical offers ‘Pixis to Paris’ in opening chamber concert
Chamber music fans: It’s time for your fix. Moment Musical kicks off its 2018-19 season with a concert titled “From Pixis to “Paris.” It’s a chance to hear some of the area’s best professional musicians in an intimate setting. The concert is 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 16, at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 50 E. Santa Ana Ave.
The program includes:
• Grande Sonata, op. 35 by Johann Peter Pixis (1788-1874) for Oboe and Piano.
Are you a member of The Munro Review? Win a pair of tickets to Moment Musical
• String Quintet in C Major, D. 956 by Franz Schubert.
• “In Memoriam” (1916) by Arnold Bax. This will feature English hour, harp, two violins, viola, and cello.
• Concertino (1948) for Flute, Clarinet and Piano by Ernest Bloch.
• George Gershwin’s “An American in Paris,” arranged for clarinet, bassoon, horn, two violins, viola, cello and bass.
Chamber music is often a labor of love for musicians, who relish the pursuit’s collaborative spirit (there’s no conductor) and “exposed” structure (when there’s only four or five of you in an ensemble, there’s nowhere to hide). It can be entrancing.
A reception will follow the concert. For more information, call 559-432-2473.
Suggested donations are $10 per person/$20 family of 3 or more/$5 college students.