Saturday pick: ‘Monsters’ invade the Tower Theatre
Some good things to know about Shine! Theatre’s “We Are Monsters,” a children’s musical making its Fresno premiere at the Tower Theatre:
• It’s written by Denver Casado, a Fresno native and founder of Beat-By-Beat Press. The musical was a winner at the 2013 Children’s Theatre Music Festival in New York.
• It’s funny and has a great message. From the Shine! folks:
‘We Are Monsters’ follows human kids into a monster cabaret filled with quirky monster characters … Vegetarian Vampires and Rock n’ roll Werewolves! Most important, these monsters and kids discover the importance of celebrating the attributes that make each of us different and unique.
• It includes the puppetry wisdom of Linda Dryden, a Fresno State theater professor who has worked with the company in the past (“Charlotte’s Web”). The production features more than 20 original puppet creations ranging from hand-held to stick puppets to shadow puppets.
• The Saturday matinee is part of the company’s Sensory-Friendly Theater Series. The delivery of this performance is adjusted to accommodate student guests with sensory issues.
• Kings River Life has a nice interview with Casado about the show.
If you go: 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, Tower Theatre. Tickets are $15-$17.50 adults, $12.50/$15 students and seniors.