Stay at home? The Fools Collaborative wants you to “Slay at Home.”
The arts group — known for its philanthropic performances and creative events — is holding a virtual competition called “Slay at Home” asking individuals to create costumes inspired by art.
Here’s a rundown:
The contest: The only ironclad stipulation is that you design your costume utilizing only items found within “your current place of quarantine.” (Those of you sheltering in place at Joann’s Fabrics hit the jackpot.)
The artistic inspiration: The Fools, in their rules, declare: “We love the idea of seeing costumes inspired by some other art — a painting, a poem, a song, a beloved character, or more. This is not a requirement, though! No points will be deducted for people who do not include a piece of inspiration. However, if someone really, truly nails a homage to another great work, this could easily raise their creativity points. So make sure to consider this!”
The judging: Winners will be determined by 20% social media performance (solely consisting of likes, shares, and comments from the original post on the Fools Collaborative pages). The other 80% will be determined by the panel of judges, which consists of Debra Erven (costume designer at Fresno City College), Jamillah “Lila” Finley (founder of BreakBox Thought Collective’s Fresno Black Girl Magic Project), Leilani Price (local Queen, entertainer, and activist), Flannery Good (fashion vlogger and creator of Sparkle Bomb Jewelry), and … me, representing The Munro Review. (What fun.)
The prizes: Yes, there are prizes.
• 1st Place: $100 gift certificate to a locally owned business or artisan of winner’s choice
• 2nd Place: $75 gift certificate to a locally owned business or artisan of winner’s choice
• 3rd Place: $50 gift certificate to a locally owned business or artisan of winner’s choice
• Two honorable mentions: pair of free tickets to the next run of a Fools Collaborative production and one “S’Will” shirt per winner.
The timeline: Entries will be collected from April 10-17. Entries will be posted April 18-24. Winners will be announced April 25.
The details: There are tips and more information on the “Slay at Home” submission form, which includes a way to upload your entries.
I can’t wait to see what y’all come up with!